Where’s Mama’s Cape?
Mama straight up doing super hero stuff lately.
Well, it’s been a hell of a week or so for us (since my last post). I briefly touched on a virus or something that I picked up recently, knowing full well, I hadn’t kicked it, but also didn’t know what was going on fully so couldn’t really elaborate. That’s sort of the thing with CF – is that you don’t know how bad something is or can become or at what point you should treat because the last thing you want to do is prematurely begin treating with antibiotics when we all know I’ll be on them a lot over the course of my life. What is seemingly a simple virus ends up creating much higher levels of stress, harm, and time spent doing therapies than anyone can truly imagine (unless you have CF).
I had recently been seen by my Pulmonary team (June 7) and by all accounts, I was doing well. It wasn’t until a a couple weeks later (June 21) that I came down with a terrible fever which scared Mom and Dad. Having seen me spike a fever before, Mom and Dad quickly opted for the Motrin, Tylenol, Motrin regimen and took me to my pediatrician to be tested for strep (strep test was negative). They also began performing the “Sick Plan”. While that suppressed the fever that I demonstrated over the course of three days, it wasn’t able to resolve what we came to find out days later.
Later that evening, Mom stayed with me and my spiked fever while Dad went to play softball with his men’s team in Arlington. Dad, being Dad, thought he was still in his twenties so when he sharply hit a ball to the team’s third baseman, he thought he needed to “grab an extra gear” to avoid getting thrown out at first base. Silly Da-da!
Dad’s brain said to run faster, his body said fat chance old man.
In doing so, he suffered a full-thickness rupture of his rectus femoris muscle (quadricep) in the upper half of his thigh. The photos are pretty graphic (and impossible to show you the front of leg without cropping the image), but for as bad as the injury is (he actually avoided surgery), I think we can all agree that it doesn’t come close to how and bad CF is.
Mom now faced the daunting task of working and looking after two* of us boys – one of us 2 years old and not feeling well, but still manages to run around and one of us mid-thirties and no longer capable of walking, cooking, cleaning, helping out with chasing me :). To say Mom was upset would be the biggest understatement of all time. Mom’s non sympathetic ways softened up a bit once she took Dad for his second opinion and she heard how bad the rupture was. The doctor even told her to “Be nice to him” on Friday (June 23).
* Sort of Under the Radar Announcement *
In the above paragraph, I mentioned Mom looking after two of us boys. Well, truth is…it could be more and Mom is extra deserving of a cape. Mom has been undergoing In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) treatments for the last few months with the help of Dad. The process actually started long ago, but given our family genetics, Mom and Dad opted to conduct additional genetic testing prior to implantation of the embryo in hopes of eliminating the possibility of another child having cystic fibrosis. Mom and Dad did not have fertility issues before, so this was more of a means to protect me and have a healthy child.
Mom and Dad wouldn’t trade me for the world, but Mom and Dad would do anything (any dollar amount, etc.) possible to ensure I was healthy. IVF offers Mom and Dad the best chance for their next child and it’s arguable that having another child with CF in the household would further bring down my health and I would bring down his/her’s depending on studies that are out there. For these reasons, Mom and Dad chose IVF.
It’s still super-duper early to be announcing this, but Mom is already experiencing nausea and an upset stomach so she’s been a trooper. We believe she’s about six weeks or so along and she’s schedule to have a sonogram next week. Again, I know it’s early, but I feel that its necessary to explain how much Mom is taking on at the moment. For any other CF families out there, we’re happy to discuss this more!
Editor’s Note: Naturally, Mom and Dad were hesitant about announcing this, but felt this is our story, and it’s life. Nothing to hide and many of our closest friends and family knew we were attempting this often private endeavor.
Children’s Culture & Lung Listen
On Monday, June 26, Mom and Dad felt my condition had worsened enough and felt it was best to get a culture from my team at Children’s. A nasty, nasty cough had developed over the weekend and Mom and Dad’s attempt to kick this with the “Sick Plan” and Motrin/Tylenol didn’t seem to help. For this of you who don’t know, the “Sick Plan” requires I double up on my therapies to four times a day. Dr. Sami took a listen to my lungs and agreed that I was not in good shape – sounded wheezy. She voiced to Mom that I may need to be admitted, but in the meantime we could try a steroid and increase nebulizer treatments to every 4 hours while we wait on results of the culture.
Therapies = No Fun + Ultimate Time Suck
While I felt relieved I didn’t have to be admitted, I knew I wasn’t in the clear. I knew the next few weeks were going to suck big time. To put it into perspective, I do therapies every four hours and each therapy is give or take thirty minutes, sans the time required to boil parts, go to drug stores, etc. For simple math we’ll say each therapy takes 30 minutes and I was doing 6 therapies a day. That’s 3 hours of therapies daily and over a 24 hours worth of therapies since I saw Dr. Sami a week ago and counting. At least Mom and Dad get to divide and conquer therapies. I’m not so lucky.
And because Mom felt left out on my first Therapies cut and there are more than enough photos of me doing therapy…
We nervously awaited a call from Children’s. For several days, we simply stuck with steroids and increased nebulizer treatment with little relief in site. Naturally this waiting makes us all very anxious since we don’t know what’s wrong and nothing seems to be working to improve my situation.
On Thursday, June 29 Dr. Sami contacted Mom to inform her that the culture came back positive for staph infection. This is the second time I’ve contracted staph and it’s never a good thing. There’s no telling where I picked it up from, but chances are the virus caused my lungs to produce more secretions which in turn caused my lungs to be stickier than normal and resulted in me being more prone to pick up staph.
This is one of the main reasons me, Mom, and Dad are so careful when others are sick or I am sick. We just sort of stick to ourselves and stay in our domain.
Positive cultures are also bittersweet since it means I’ve contracted something (bad), but at the same time we now have a way ahead to begin treatment (good).
The new plan entailed weaning off the the steroid (Prednisolone) and begin taking an antibiotic (Sulfameth-Trimeth) AKA Bactrim, all while continuing therapies every four hours. It’s 10mL of the antibiotic twice a day. Not sure if you know how much that its, but for a two year old like me, it’s far more than I ever want to consume. The syringe is huge!
There’s an American proverbial phrase,
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade
and it’s pretty applicable to those of us with CF and those of caring for those with CF. The past 2+ weeks have sucked, but me, Mom, and Dad have managed to sneak some fun in between therapies and medications.
Thanks to everyone who came by to check in on me, drop off toys, and offered to lend Mom and Dad a hand this past week. It hasn’t been easy, but then again, nothing in this world ever is…
Older Video, but I Learned Reverse
Quickly Outgrowing my John Deer Tractor
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Enjoy your July 4th holiday!